Monday, February 28, 2011

The way we buy Cheese

We buy cheese in bulk from our local Costco. I say local we do have to drive a little bit to get to it but it is well worth the little drive. I only go once a month and I purchase items in bulk that I know are good buys. I purchase shredded cheese in bulk, come home and divide it up and freeze it. Yes freeze it. Many have asked do you then have to use it in cooking, the answer is no, it thaws nicely and can be used in anything.



The two kinds of shredded cheese I like to purchase in this manner are Colby/Jack and mozzarella. I use the Colby/jack in place of cheddar in most recipes.


I use a larger bowl and dump some of the cheese into it and measure out 2 cups of cheese into freezer, quart size, ziplock bags. This is the amount that you get in the supermarket.


I then label each back with it's contents and the date. Cheese almost never lasts over 6 weeks in our house so I really don't have to worry about this but if you use less cheese it will help you know when you need to use it up.

By purchasing the cheese this way, I save alot of money each month. Each package of Colby/Jack costs me about $.67 and the mozzarella costs me about $.87 per package.

Peanut butter, tuna, Parmesan cheese, and bread flour just to mention a few things also are purchased in bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment